The Fangreaders Awards: "Meet the Authors" Click here to read the interviews

Friday 15 March 2013

Meet the Authors Part 27

 

EricsValkyrie

Nomination

The Longshadow Award     Best One Shot Fanfic

This award is for a fanfic that is a one chapter story.

“The Accident”

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8728339/1/The-Accident

The Interview

 

1. What inspired you to write and how long have you been writing?

I used to have a job that required a lot of creativity. But my current job, though I really like it, requires little, to no, creativity so I was really looking for some way to express myself. I had taken a creative writing course over 20 years ago in college, but my teacher and I didn't see eye-to-eye. She felt anything that wasn't over dramatized slice of life wasn't “pure” enough so when I pulled in supernatural, fantastic or science fiction elements she objected. That soured me to writing for a long time. So I have only really tried writing again for about 4 years. I was having a hard time with characterization, writing in different voices, so I decided to try to write to characters I knew and others were familiar with. That way I could see if I was successful.

2. Do you have a plan for the end of your story or do you make it up as you go along?

I usually have a rough outline, and some solid scenes in mind and write around them. However, I have had stories take on a life of their own and grow beyond what I had envisioned.

3. Who are your favorite SVM/TB characters and why?

I really like Eric (which is probably obvious) from both the books and the show. He enjoys being a vampire and doesn't moan over his lot in unlife. He also seems to have more confidence in Sookie and doesn't try to stand in her way.

I really like Lafayette in the show and I'm glad that he wasn't killed off. I haven't written much for him though because I like the world in the books better, for the most part, than that in Alan Ball's fan fiction.

4. What was the first fan fiction story that you read?

I don't remember the title, or the author, I know I'm a terrible person. But it was a Spike/Buffy story, not much plot, just lemons.

5. What question would you like to be asked and never have been?

This is probably not what you were thinking but...

Mom, do you know how to make/can you help me make this totally impossible XYZ for a school project/Halloween costume?

My answer:
Oh dear honey no, thank god!

So far I have made: cyberman, dalek, Edward scissorhand costumes, a cake with a volcano that erupts, a 4-foot tall “man-eating plant” that moved and the piece de resistance a 5-foot long jaguar, that will actually support my son. The conversation usually goes something like this:

“Mom, I have to make a model or a diorama about something in the rainforest for school (2nd grade), can you help me?”

“Sure honey, what do you want to make?”

“A model of a jaguar.”

Me, imagining using clay. “That shouldn't be too hard.”

“Can it be life-size?”

Quickly thinking, okay paper mache, we can do it. “Well, that will take longer, and be more work for you, but yes, we can make it life-size.”

“And I want to be able to ride on it.”

“Really?!?” But the idea for a PVC frame under chicken wire, covered in paper mache coalesces in my head, which hits the table in defeat. “Yes.” I sigh, “We can do that.”

So the question I would love to be asked is “Can we make this?” and have the answer truthfully be no. Because if my kids ask if we can make it and I can figure it out, we do it. Why? Because I can't teach them to stand up to a challenge, if I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment~

Readers Review

Tell us about a great fanfic you have read. You can fill out the embedded form or go to http://bit.ly/FangReview